Get Ready For Tyson Fury’s Next Fight

Kelly Walsh - 06 Apr 2022

It’s official. Tyson Fury’s next fight will be to defend his WBC title against Dillian Whyte at London’s Wembley Stadium on Saturday, April 23.

The run-up to the fight between The Gypsy King and The Body Snatcher is an interesting one. On October 9, 2021, Fury successfully defended his world titles when he beat former WBC champion Deontay Wilder with an eleventh-round knockout. And while at the same time, Whyte had been set to fight Otto Wallin in defence of his own WBC interim title later that same month, Whyte managed to skip out on the skirmish over an alleged injury to the shoulder.

Significant to note is that Whyte never set a new date for the fight in question, and ultimately chose instead to side-step southpaw Wallin in a bid to secure a chance to strip Fury of his world titles.

The fight, though not yet the place or date, was confirmed on December 30 last year when WBC boss Mauricio Sulaiman had ruled that Fury would indeed be defending his WBC title against none other than Dillian Whyte. 

Distribution Of The Purse

Also on December 30th, Sulaiman announced that Fury would be eligible for pocketing 80% of the purse, and Whyte the remaining 20%. This division was determined by Fury being the current holder of the titles, and Whyte the challenger.

The deadline for purse bids was eventually scheduled for January 11, 2022.

But since the Whyte and Fury’s respective camps had been unable to reach agreement around the negotiations table, this date was pushed out even further, to January 28. It was then eventually announced that Queensberry Promotions (owned by Frank Warren) would be entitled to promote the fight, and from a winning bid of a grand $41,025,000.

Warren’s bid is reportedly the highest purse bid in the history of boxing as a professional sport.  

The Fighters React

Tyson Fury’s next fight has got him amped up and he immediately reacted to the news regarding the successful bid, on social media. He spoke about a homecoming because his brawl against Whyte will be his first fight in the UK since his 2018 victory against Francesco Pianeta.

Whyte, however, remained eerily silent, and then caused quite the stir when he failed to show up for the fight’s official press conference at Wembley on March 1st. According to Whyte’s attorney, his client would not be partaking in any official promotions until such time as all outstanding issues had been resolved.

Fury, not unlike his want, pitched up in full showman’s attire, bells and whistles included, while referring to himself in the third person and declaring the fight would be between “Fury” and his “shadow”.

Fury furthermore riled up fans even further when he declared Whyte’s absence a sign of white-flag submission.

A Homecoming For Whyte

The all-British fight will take place at the same stadium where Anthony Joshua secured his massive win against Wladimir Klitschko.

For Whyte, the April 23 clash will be his first opportunity to try for a world title after a lengthy and certainly frustrating wait.

Whoever emerges the winner in Tyson Fury’s next fight will be in a prime position to secure an undisputed fight for the title with Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk.

The Undercards

Big news revealed earlier this week is that while Fury will be going toe-to-toe with Whyte, his younger brother Tommy will be stepping into the boxing ring as part of the undercard. He will be going up against Polish boxer Daniel Bocianski.

The younger of the two brothers remains unbeaten – with his seven victories including four knockouts.

Also seen in action will be British junior lightweight title-holder Anthony Cacace. He’ll be vying for the WBC International title against Jonathan Romero.

The WBC Silver featherweight title, meanwhile, will be contested between the unbeaten Nick Ball, and Isaac Lowe.

How And Where To Watch  

Unfortunately for those who’ve not yet got a pass for attending the big fight, most of the tickets were sold out within 3 hours of having gone on sale on March 2.

With 85,000 of the 90,000 available tickets sold out almost immediately, Warren has now applied to local authorities to enlarge the capacity to a record 100,000 fans. If successful, such an expansion will make of the Fury-Whyte brawl the largest boxing event in the history of the UK.

The big event will be live broadcast on BTSport Box Office, starting at 6pm BST (British Summer Time).

Betway Is Best For Betting

More good news is that fans will get to bet on the event by heading on over to premium online sports betting brand Betway.

Betway is a first-class provider of sports betting and online gaming entertainment and will be ready and waiting to receive bets on who viewers think will emerge the winner at Wembley on April 23. Great odds and licensed and regulated action make this sportsbook an Irish favourite!

Copyright © 2022 www.online-casinos.ie